POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Say it isn't so! : re: waves or particles? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:10:37 EDT (-0400)
  re: waves or particles?
From: Julius Klatte
Date: 2 Dec 1998 19:06:24
Message: <3665d600.0@news.povray.org>
>  Actually they are not rays, but waves.

Are you so sure? Most physics scientists aren't... They
agree that light sure behaves like a wave, but it also
behaves like a particle.

>  This may start a physics flame war, but a photon is not a
particle but
>a electromagnetic wave quantum (is that the right term? I
have studied
>physics only in finnish... :) ).

Well, yes , an "electromagnetic wave quantum" seems the best
way to visualise
(visualize ;) ) it. I guess the Finnish get the same physics
at school as in Holland... :)

Just wondering... does raytracing get any easier to
understand if you think about light as electromagnetic wave
quanta?

Julius Klatte
http://surf.to/jkhome